Monday, February 25, 2008

Ryan Howard Shown The Money

Well, I think Howard got what was deserved. I'm not saying it's reasonable that he should get $10 million a year and this is considered an underpayment. In real life, it's insane. In professional sports, it's just another day at the office.

I didn't run the stats, but I wonder how many major leaguers had more homers than Howard over the last three seasons? With 58 in one season, I can't imagine it's a big number.

It's true he's a young talent that hasn't been in the big leagues all that long. And it's also true that he struggled last season. But I am not worried that the Phils made a mistake. No - I think the mistake would have been to win the arbitration. They should have just given him what he asked for. In baseball money, they were getting a bargain.

Now, the hardcore stance might convince him to sign elsewhere later in his career no matter what money the Phils wave at him. Players have long memories and don't like to feel that they've been disrespected.

Again, it's not reasonable to think that $7 million per year is disrespectful. But in baseball money, compared with his peers...$7 mil, $10 mil is a baragain.

Look at the Yankees - how much is Jeter getting? And how much is A-Rod getting? And how many World Series championships have they won since 2001? That's right. The same number as the Phillies have won. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Of course, I am not seriously comparing the two franchises. But I am saying that the Yankees - and many other teams - are not worried about how much a player is paid. They want to win. Let's hope the Phillies get this attitude. It's been too long since us fans had post season hopes. I'd like to keep that momentum going.

No comments: