Monday, November 19, 2007

A Steeler History Lesson; 16-0

Still no idea what happened in the Meadowlands. How could they have lost that game? It wasn't on TV in my area, so I didn't see any of it. Probably a good thing. Who can figure this team out? Is any other Steeler fan reminded of the 2001 season?

Pittsburgh was rolling along (they were 13-3 that year), winning games in the typical Steeler style. Not killing anyone, but getting the wins. Then came that Minnesota game when they gave up 300+ passing yards to Todd Bauman (200) and Daunte Culpepper (140) and almost lost. If not for a late fourth quarter, 20 or so yard Bettis run on third down, they might have lost that game.

Then, came the loss in Cincinnati (they were 6-10 in 2001), when the Steelers allowed the Bengals to block a field goal and then to return it for a score! Still with me?

The season ended with that horrible 24-17 loss to the Patriots. This was the game that propelled the Pats to their first Super Bowl win. You know, after the fumble (and it was a fumble and Brady knew it, as indicated by his walking off the field with his head down) in the snow against Oakland the week before that was nullified by the 'tuck' rule? Remember this?

That game was lost by special teams. A punt return for a touchdown...and (refer to the Cincinnati game above) a blocked kick returned for a touchdown. Pittsburgh loses another title game.

Here are the important game stats:

First Downs: NE 15, Steelers 23
Total Net Yards: NE 259, Steelers 306

Kordell Stewart 24-42 for 255 yards, 3 INT, 0 TD
Tom Brady 12-18 for 115 yards, 0 INT, 0 TD, Drew Bledsoe 10-21 for 102 yards, 0 INT, 1 TD

How many times have we seen something like this? All the right numbers seemingly in the Steelers favor, but then there are some pivotal numbers (turnovers) that kill them. Turnovers and special teams.

I hope I am wrong. But I can't imagine a scenario where the Steelers beat the Patriots this year. Nor can I imagine that the Giants will either. So that means that I have joined the crowd of folks who believe that the Patriots will go 16-0 this year. That's emetic for me to admit.

I hope I'm wrong. But history is a strong indicator that I am not.

No comments: