Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Hall of Fame and A Wistful Look Back

Glad to hear that Rich Gossage was finally elected to the Hall of Fame. Even if he is most well known for being a Yankee...He sure had the numbers and the qualifiers. And even though I think the role of the relief pitcher is a complete joke in today's baseball, it wasn't that way when Gossage pitched.

There was no pitch to one batter and leave the game. There was no set-up man. When the relief pitcher came into the game in the 7th, he pitched through the 7th, the 8th and the 9th. The only way he was coming out was if he couldn't stop the bleeding.

I hope that Jim Rice and Bert Blyleven join Gossage next year. Based on the low numbers for the other names on the ballot (amusingly low for Mark McGwire), it might be a while before we see any current players get in.

Speaking of current players, the second pitcher I was thinking of was, of course, the Rocket (the 'Roid Rocket?), Mr. Roger Clemens. Deny, Deny, Deny. It's too bad that a lot of people, myself included, won't believe a word he says. It's like with Bonds...somewhere along the way, they crossed a line that baseball fans cannot forgive. We don't want to see them set any records, or achieve anything grand. Speaking for myself - I just want them both to go away.

The Rocket's antics with Brian MacNamee are such an embarrasment. He should just admit what he's done and take his medicine. I'm sure it wouldn't be administered in his rear. :-) But Clem is alleged to be okay with this type of dosage...

Over the next few months, we can expect a lot of sniping and jabber that accomplishes nothing. Great. Can't wait for spring training.

Is Clemens the best pitcher of the modern era? Before the Mitchell Report, I'd have been forced to say yes (emetically, it was true). But now, I have to say that I think that Greg Maddux is the best pitcher of the modern era. And even that is making me guilty of having a short memory.

Depending on the definition of the modern era, I'm remiss in not giving the nod to several names. Bob Gibson. Sandy Koufax. Tom Seaver. Steve Carlton. Nolan Ryan. Just to name a few.

Let's narrow it down - I think that Maddux is the best pitcher in baseball since 1980. As for the best pitcher in baseball between 1960 and 1979...that would be very hard to say.

As for Jim Rice, the records of Roger Maris and Hank Aaron may have been surpassed, but these records remain untouched in the minds of baseball fans like me who remember what it was like in the 70s and 80s.

When 61 home runs in a season was unthinkable. When 45 home runs was more than enough to lead a league. Rice did just that - lead a league with 46 homers. In fact, Rice led the AL in homers three times - with 39 homers two times. And he also hit for average (lifetime BA is .298 - same as Mickey Mantle), drove in runs (130 or over twice) and had over 200 hits in a season a four times.

But I'm an old schmuck living in the past. I still like baseball, and still enjoy watching Phillies games...but it's very different now. At least I can be optimistic that the Phillies players are not using steroids. And if they are...where's that World Series win, boys?

1 comment:

My Big Brown Opinion said...

Good for Goose. He deserves it.