Saturday, March 10, 2012

Beaker'd From Above: Evan Turner's Time Is Now




I'm not the hugest 76ers fan.

By that I mean, in NBA terms, I'm a huge Sixers fan, but the NBA is way down on my list after the Phillies, Flyers, Eagles, Wings, college basketball (Syracuse, Temple, the rest of the Big 5, Wichita State), college lacrosse, college football, arena football (yes), and possibly team handball. So, relatively, the Sixers are down my list, but I'm still a Sixers fan. My NBA childhood was filled with Julius Erving, Bobby Jones, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney, and Charles Barkley. But it was also filled with Manute Bol, Jim Rowinski, Jeff Hornacek, Danny Vranes, Mike Gminski, Jeff Ruland, Chris Welp, and Jeff Malone (the worst of all the Malone's). The 76ers of 1992-1997 were the (ten, nine, eight, seventy) six worst seasons in the history of the team, this side of 9-73. Before A.I. Part One (Part One) came, I was gone. But that doesn't still mean I don't root for them, and want them to win (despite Tony Battie), and get excited when they do. Doug Collins won me back a bit, and this season is piquing my interest.


But that's not why I'm writing. This is why. Everyone's talking about Evan Turner right now. Even one of my bosses. And I got this email from him late Wednesday night, after the Sixers' drubbing of the Jerry Sichting-less Celtics:
Tonight I felt like writing a little article about what I think we should do with Evan Turner. You have actually published sports articles. I feel like with some more structure and editing this is actually an interesting topic and I make a point, if you want to clean this up. I know this is not like me, but come on... F Jodie Meeks and his 25 minutes of one dimensional basketball.
So, since it's my boss, I did 'clean it up' (not that it wasn't ok before, #coveringmyass), and he thought it was good. So he wrote me back:
Awesome. Let's put it to press.
And that's the story of the story below, for all to see. (And if you people make it viral, you might even get me a raise, since his name is on the side of the building in which I work and all). He wrote it (and it's good, and his point is quite valid). It's his content, but he told me to cite myself as an author since he liked my copyediting. Hey, that's why they pay me the big bucks. In any case, here it is. Enjoy. I'm going to go watch some tournament college hoops.


Evan Turner's Time Is Now



Evan Turner needs more time: More playing time. More time with the starters. More time with the ball in his hands. And we're starting to see exactly that pay off.

Prior to cracking the starting lineup, Turner had already begun to show a great deal of talent and potential, and a true feel for the game. Both off of the bench and now averaging over 40 minutes per in the last four games, we’ve seen a penchant for high flying defensive rebounds, a knack for getting the ball up court, and the savvy to break down a defender and get off a layup or a midrange shot. With his move to starter, he's posted solid numbers, both on the offensive end (putting up 26, 21, 24, and 16 points) and the defensive side (pulling down 14 and 12 D-bounds against the Knicks and Jazz).
Sure, we have also seen him turn the ball over, pass the ball off and run to the corner (Collins' favorite use for his two best ball handlers, Holiday the other), and struggle on defense against quicker guards. He is still just a second year player, and mistakes will happen. The only cure for that is playing time. And he's finally getting that chance, something Turner deserves, and we deserve to see... even when he eventually has a couple of clunker games in a row. For his future - and the team's - the title of 'starter' can't be on a yo-yo. The only way ET develops is by getting starter's time consistently for the remainder of the season, and especially in the playoffs.

Even now, there's still a lot of talk about trading Turner. But that’s a knee-jerk reaction to a perception of lack of 'star power' that won’t solve any long-term team issues. What he gives the team right now – and will for years to come – is an increase in time of possession in the offensive zone. I can't stand watching Lou Williams stroll up court with barely 16 ticks left on the clock, make a shifty move, and jack up an off-balance jumper. The Sixers have lost too many close games this season already following that formula. Let's keep letting the number two pick in the draft push the ball, get the offense set, and if he ends up with the ball with the clock winding down, he can at least make a move and get to the rim. He’s got that talent, and he needs to be able to showcase it. Evan Turner should be - and will be - the first face of the franchise since... since Iverson? It's certainly not Iggy.

There truly are several good players on this team. But many of them have one (or if they’re lucky, two) real strengths: Lou can score, Thad can score and take a charge, Jodie can make a three, Jrue is brilliant at showing up early and then disappearing. Andre can defend, rebound, and pass the ball well – and that’s why he was an All-Star. But he can’t push the ball up court without looking out of control. He can’t break down defenders off the dribble. He can’t hit a jump shot or two free throws in a row. So, at the end of close games, why not give the ball to someone who can do all of these things. You know, like a guy – as I mentioned – who was the second overall pick. Turner actually looks like a fluid ball player; it doesn't look like he is trying too hard to dribble or look around the court for the open man. Haven’t we had enough of that? Evan Turner's time is now.

So let’s stop wasting time whining about the lack of a scorer. We have one, he'd just been glued to the bench at the end of games for reasons I truly do not understand. Coach Collins has seen the light and made the move that should have happened weeks ago. Keep giving Evan Turner more time. His 26 points in 37 minutes in the blowout against the Celtics was just a tease of what’s to come. We aren't winning it all this year so let's at least develop our most likely future star so he has the confidence to take us in the right direction next season. A consistent 35 minutes a game, starting and finishing, is all the time I ask.

Daniel Feith ‏(@dzan2583, go Mountain Hawks) as edited by Michael Hochman (@PhillyPartTwo, go Orange). Dictated but not read. We work here: feith.com.


No comments: