Friday, June 11, 2010

Craig's List Post: WANTED: Runs. Philadelphia. Style points not a consideration.

As I write this, the Phillies are down 9-0 after three innings to the Red Sox. You'd think that this would prompt a commentary about the Phillies pitching. Not a chance. It's all about the hitting.

The sports radio commentators are full of advice for Phillies faithful. No need to panic. They've done this before. It's just a slump. They'll come out of it. And they use many words to describe how they see things. Concerned. Upset. Disappointed. Surprised.

I am none of these things. In fact, I think that my word is the one word that I believe that the Phillies would not want to hear. I feel that no organization that is involved in entertainment of any sort would want to hear.

Bored.

That's right. I'm bored by the Phillies. They're boring. This is my third season of not being able to watch Phillies games because I don't have Comcast. I've been listening to the Phillies on the radio and had developed an appreciation for taking in baseball games in this manner.

Last night, I went to Citizen's Bank Park for the first time this season. I saw Roy Halladay pitch for the first time this season. He was great - a little rocky in the first inning, but otherwise, great. No problem there.

The problem was that the hitters were on vacation or something. As I walked though the concourse, hunting down french fries for my son (remember the Bugs Bunny Easter cartoon? "I want an Easter Egg. I want an Easter Egg. I want an Easter Egg."), I was listening to the broadcast. They actually referred to this game as a pitcher's duel.

If the Phillies had previously - within, say the last three weeks or so - displayed any grit or pizzazz, then I'd agree with this assessment. Instead, I laughed. This was no pitcher's duel. This was Josh Johnson mowing down a lineup that should be capable of knocking him out by the 5th inning.

Instead, it was quick at-bats. Inning after inning. At-bats so quick that I missed a few of them due to turning my head away to talk to my son or my father. The Phillies halves of the innings might as well not have been played.

This much maligned pitching staff has performed well above expectations. Far better than this "study in moppishness" that is the current Phillies lineup. Three consecutive shutouts against the hated (and, frankly, pretty lame) Mets? Of all teams, the Mets? Come on guys!!

It's sad to say. I love my Phillies. And I'll be there at the end of the season to see how things turn out. But they bore the crap out of me right now. I can't even be bothered to pay attention. It's the same old, same old with them. If they right the ship, and manage to make me care again, that would be great.

But right now - I'm too bored to pay any attention. Wake me when the offense makes its way back to Philly.
 

1 comment:

The J Kane said...

BORED MEETING @ Citizens Bank Park

Jimmy wants a hot dog, Dead End Kid wants an Easter egg, and the Phillies want some runs.

A ten-year old (even moreso than you or Ron) is likely to just be bored by the slow and deliberate pace of baseball in general. My guess is that Jimmy was probably ready to go by the 4th inning, right?

And if you acted upon Jimmy's advice, you could have been home early, watched some Spongebob Squarepants videos, and had some popcorn. (Sounds like THAT might have been more fun that watching the FALTERIN' PHILLS.) :0 :| :(