Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Al Davis Gets Me To Thinking...

...And it's not in a good way...of course. Apologies to Raiders fans, as I am about to generalize and bash your fearless owner.

I'm sitting here enjoying the Steelers/Ravens slugfest (heh) and ESPN breaks away for an update. They tell me that the Chisox have won and earned the right to battle Minnesota for the AL Central. Cool.

Then they tell me that Al Davis is interviewing candidates to replace Lane Kiffin as Raiders head coach.

Then for a second, I wondered...I heard about Linehan. Did I miss an announcement? Nope - Kiffin's still the coach.

Now that's class. Davis is interviewing coaches and he still has a coach. Any coach who would actually take part in something this scummy deserves to be the coach of the Raiders. I'm not surprised that Davis would do this...I'm surprised that any worthwhile coaching candidate would do this.

Perhaps it's just me. I'm sure I'll get condescending comments (I know, I know...nobody is reading this) like "That's the nature of modern football, dude. Get over it."

But I don't think I will (get over it, I mean). This situation stinks...and whether or not Kiffin is a good coach...Davis hired him! Kiffin should at least get the 'privelege' of finishing the season without having some withered, leathery asswipe undermining him and disrespecting him so openly.

As if I needed any reasons to dislike the Raiders. May there be many more 1-15 seasons in their future. How the mighty have fallen.

1 comment:

Michael Rappa said...

The worst part is that Davis is firing him for cause, which means he has no intention of paying the rest of his contract. Davis has been setting up that situation all year: when he couldn't force him to quit, he decided to create the most toxic working environment he could and had his minions keeping tabs on all of Kiffin's incidents of "insubordination." You would think a guy who has no problem throwing millions at washed up players wouldn't be so cheap, but for Davis it's more about power. He is a scumbag.