Monday, December 10, 2007

NE 34, Stillers 13 - Better Luck Next Time

Well, that didn't go so well for the Steelers. Despite Anthony Smith's guarantee, the Black & Gold fell to the soon-to-be 16-0 Patriots. I tip my hat to them, they were surely the better team that day. Although while watching the game, I was able to see what the Ravens were talking about.

After the first touchdown, Brady found Smith and jawed at him, causing a little pushing and shoving on the field. Of course, no flag was thrown. Surprisingly, they didn't throw a flag on Smith for answering the taunt. I think any other player would have been flagged there.

It's pretty safe to say that Brady is buying into his press now. So you're 16-0 and have been appointed the greatest quarterback EVER by ESPN. Here's your trophy - now stop being so annoying. It's not to say that Brady isn't good - it would be ridiculous to say that. But he is annoying.

Now, of course, since the Pats have sealed the first seed, and likely will seal home field throughout the playoffs, they won't face (or obliterate) a really good team until the second week of the playoffs.

Some Steelers (Smith included) have expressed a desire to get one more shot at the Pariots. Good luck with that. I sure hope they are planning to play a better game than the one they just did. Getting outscored 20-0 in the second half is really not how you want to be preparing for the playoffs. But who knows? Maybe Pittsburgh will figure something out.

I think it would be fun to see the Patriots go 16-0 and then lose in the first round of the playoffs. I can hear all of New England arrogantly proclaiming this will not happen. Well, that's why they play the games. Even if it isn't the Steelers that knock them off (and I am realistic enough to know that this is a long shot to happen at best), it would be fun. At least...I think so.

2 comments:

The J Kane said...

Brady is a good quarterback. Okay, maybe even you might acknowledge that - and given his career numbers, you might even agree (albeit reluctantly) that it is an understatement. By why the beef? The league is full of talented athletes who are genuine jerks - T.O. is the first to come to mind. Randy Moss, too (although I really think Belichick seems to have succeeded in reeling him in; He has been conspicuous quiet since becoming a PATS player.) I am reminded of Joe Montana - he was outstanding as a player, and very likeable off-the-field. I suppose the most questionable thing going on in Brady World is that he had a child out of wedlock - but in today's society, doesn't that just make me a complete jerk for even hinting that THAT is some form of social transgression?

Defenestrator3 said...

Sure I'll acknowledge (grudgingly) that Brady is a good, maybe even great, quarterback. But you know my reluctance to place titles such as "greatest" on anything or anyone. So I'll say that he is ONE OF the best quarterbacks I've seen. But he is annoying and arrogant. I don't recall Roethlisberger or Manning (the last two QBs to win Super Bowls) taunting anyone after a TD throw. And I don't think they'd taunt even if an opponent was dumb enough to guarantee a win. I'm not so much concerned about the wedlock, as I am about the thinning line between good and poor sportsmanship. For Brady - I'd like to see him continue his excellent play...and to leave the taunting to a lesser player.