Sunday, December 2, 2007

Eagles/Seahawks: Fly, Eagles Fly!

Well, it's a very rare Sunday when I can say that I actually attended a pro football game. Thanks to my excellent brother-in-law, exactly this happened. I was there (with my equally excellent father-in-law) to watch the Eagles fall short against the Seahawks. And after watching the Seahawks again (I saw - on TV - them lose 21-0 to the great Steelers earlier in the season), I am left to wonder how they've (the Seahawks) won 8 games this year. If not for some unfortunate play calling and a couple of bad throws, the Eagles were the better team - even on a cold, unpleasant, sleety, rainy day.

I think it's pretty safe to say that Lofa Tatupu will not be getting another three interceptions (he now has 8 total in his three-year career) for quite a while.

This game is the second in a row where the Eagles took on a better team (one where this was really the case and one where this was perceived to be the case), played well enough to win, but eventually came in second.

Eagles fans - I feel for you. I remember well the Pittsburgh 1998, 1999 and 2000 seasons where the Steelers struggled and had a few losing seasons. Hard to believe, but there were even rumblings about whether or not Cowher would return as coach. It now seems madness to even think people were saying that at the time. But they figured things out, went to some title games and won a Super Bowl. The Eagles have some talented players and a pretty good coach, so there is all the reason in the world to believe the Eagles could make it back to the Super Bowl soon.

For now, let's just hope they can beat the Cowboys when they play December 16th. That might take some of the sting out of the disappointment of a season that was rife with potential. Oh yeah - beating the overrated Giants next week would be a nice way to go as well!

It was great to attend the game, even with the crappy weather. The food was great. The drinks were great. And the company was great. I had a blast. Maybe next time I attend a game, I'll be able to celebrate a victory with my in-laws!

Fly, Eagles Fly!

2 comments:

The J Kane said...

Crikey! You almost sound like an Iggles Fan - and that's a good thing. I can only imagine that the lousy weather (and the loss) was a bit more bearable with good company like your in-laws.

Mike Frangione said...

There is some truth to that statement, but I can't help but feel the better team did not win. Just another tough loss for the Iggles. And I guess I am an Iggles fan when it comes down to it. I can thank my in-laws for reviving that.